Serves: 8 • Prep Time: 30 min • Cook Time: 2hrs
- 2 Tablespooons Manteca (bacon fat)
- 2 pounds Beef stew meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons Beef bouillon
- 1 splash Red wine
- 3 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1.5 inch cubes
- 2 Golden beets, peeled and cut into 1.5 inch cubes
- 2 medium Sweet onions, chopped
- 1 bunch Carrots, sliced into buttons
- 1 cup frozen Peas
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Melt manteca in large pot on medium high heat. Saute beef stew meat until browned. Add water, bouillon, red wine, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
Add potatoes, beets, onions, carrots, and a bit more water, if needed. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes (or until everything is tender). Stir in peas and cook until heated through.
- 1 cup Bisquick
- 3 Tablespoons Milk
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tablespoon Parsley
Mix dumpling ingredients until just blended. Drop spoonfuls on top of stew, cover, and simmer an additional 25 minutes.